Saturday, January 19, 2013

Tomorrow!!!!

Tomorrow is finally the day!!!! I cannot WAIT for the adventures I'm going to have in South Africa!  Although many people have been giving me advice, my dad and grandpa are trying to out-advise everyone.  So for them I've put together a special list of things I should definitely do while in Cape Town.

1) Walk around by myself (especially at night)
2) Go bungee jumping (even more favorable because I just looove heights)
3) Wear short skirts and other revealing outfits (when I'm walking alone)
4) Go out late at night (it is advised that I do this by myself, then have more drinks than the Lanie breathalyzer would like, and wear a short skirt)
5) Go shark diving (mmmm cold water, my favorite!)
6) Bring a South African man home for Thanksgiving and introduce him to the family as my new boyfriend (just kidding)
7) Papa was reeeaaally adamant on me getting (and I quote) "a bone through my nose." Very politically correct, Papa.

Don't worry Dad and Papa!  If you're reading this I'll make sure to add to the list as I go!  I'll definitely blog about all the safe decisions (such as these) that I'm making, so you won't have FOMO (fear of missing out).

It's pretty exciting to think that in 2 days (ugh 30 hour flight) I'll be in Cape Town.  It's been fun packing because I love summer weather so I'm bringing all my favorite clothes with me!  Also on that note, I feel like I'm not bringing enough.  I'm sure I am, but I've never had such an easy time packing as I have had for this.  We'll see what I forgot when I get there I guess.

But in all seriousness, I went to dinner tonight with my family, Papa and Gigi, and Agathe (shocker) and Gigi was talking about what a small world it is that I'm going to South Africa.  To make a long story short, about 20 or so years ago, Papa and Gigi met two friends on a cruise.  These friends lived in George, South Africa and they stayed in touch after their vacation.  My grandparents visited them in South Africa two or three times before my family traveled with them.  While we were there, we were lucky enough to stay with them for a few days.  I'm not sure if Gigi and Papa had been to South Africa before they had met the van Aswegens, but my understanding is they visited the country after they met them.

One of the most memorable experiences I had in South Africa was with the van Aswegens at their incredible house that overlooked the Indian Ocean.  The house alone was absolutely incredible.  I still stand by the fact that if I could build myself a dream home in twenty-five years, this would be it - down to the bontebok that ran wild in their backyard.  (Because 99% of the people who will be reading this do not know what a bontebok is, I included a picture.  Don't get too excited though.  We didn't take this picture.  It's from Google.  But it looks just like it could have been taken in their backyard.)


But beyond the breathtaking home, the experiences I had at this couple's house really impacted my life - so much so that I wrote about it in my college essays and am still writing about it today now that I'm getting involved in certain aspects of my study abroad program. To make yet another long story short, Ronell (aka Mrs. van Aswegen) was a retired concert pianist who had decided to choose musically talented students from a nearby coloured township and teach them how to play the piano.  This program was not intended to teach them a skill, but was designed to fulfill a vocation.  She wanted to give these students an opportunity to leave their unstable communities with the hopes of a bright future through a university scholarship.  One night at the Van Aswegen’s house, Ronell held a small recital in which five of her students performed for my family and me.  I was blown away by the music that came from their fingertips, but even more astounded by the students’ optimism, passion for music, and overall positive outlook on life.  

I grew up sort of assuming that people who lived in less than great circumstances must be unhappy and bitter, but after meeting these students, I was absolutely amazed.  I felt like these students appeared to be happier with their lives than even some of the most “successful” people that I knew.  I was fascinated by the idea of getting to know more about them, their country, culture, and history.  I wanted to learn from them and grow from my experiences with them.  

On this one night, I learned that one person’s actions can significantly change the lives of many.  Ronell saw that her culture was determining what people should do with their lives.  If someone grew up in a township with racial barriers, they raised their children there because that is what they knew.  Society’s views had taken control so that people were settling for their standards instead of trying to aim for something more.  So much musical talent was going to waste because people felt predetermined with what they should be.  Ronell decided that she could change these kids’ lives, and she did.  Not only did I learn that determination is one of the most powerful character traits a person could have, but also I learned our culture does not bind us.  We have the power to do what we want with our lives.  And for all those lessons, I am grateful to Neels and Ronell for opening their home to us and letting us into their lives for a few days.

Well, I didn't really make that story short, but when people ask me why I chose to study abroad in South Africa, this is basically why.  I fell in love with this country when I visited and since then I've wanted to learn as much as I can about South Africans and their culture and history.  I found a journal I kept while I was there in which I basically promised myself that I would return to South Africa and help people in a similar way that Ronell did (although I don't think that's possible to do in only 5 months).  I can thank the van Aswegens for indirectly instilling this passion in me, but when it all comes down to it, I guess I really just have to be thankful that Gigi and Papa met them and befriended them on that cruise years ago!  Small world.

Anyway, I've got to get off to bed so I can (hopefully!) sleep tonight.  Next time I post it'll be from Africa!!  I'm looking forward to watching the Office, Parks and Recreation, Easy A, Crazy Stupid Love, and reading Bossypants on the flight over.  Nothing like a little comedy to get through a 30 hour flight.  Hopefully my uber stylish wrap around neck pillow will also facilitate some sleep.

PS - I wonder if I'll have cankles again when I land.  Only time will tell...

PSS - I realize no one (except my immediate family) would ever actually read this whole post.  I think I've come to the conclusion that this blog isn't meant to be read by people with short attention spans (so basically anyone).

2 comments:

  1. I READ IT ENTIRELY OF COURSE BECAUSE ANYTHING INCLUDING GIGI AND PAPA IS WORTH READING. I guess you're fine too. Also you should add: drink an alcoholic beverage that a guy I have never met before insistently handed out to me.

    I miss you, be safe and do not befriend any french students, there are not enough place for others in your life. And they are annoying like me anyway so why would you want that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, but I did....love your style of writing and the story behind why you went back. Loved the PS!

    ReplyDelete