Sunday, March 3, 2013

Powder and Picnicking

This was an AMAZING weekend.  Seriously the most fun I've had in a long, long time!  It was a nice combination of crazy and relaxing - naturally it's easy to get the best of both worlds in Cape Town.

The weekend started on Friday night when Ali, Jesse, Hannah, and I ventured to Green Point for some "Mexican" food.  Although I'm loving every minute of my time here, I've found this city's biggest downfall - THERE IS NO REAL (or even Chipotle-esque) MEXICAN FOOD.  This poses a huge threat to the rest of my time here.  Yes, DC is lacking in the authentic Mexican food category, but at least I can go to Chipotle or Lauriol Plaza when times get rough!  Hey, I even spent a fair amount of time at Baja Fresh last semester.  When Mexican food calls, Mexican food calls.

Side note: Hannah and I attempted to make tacos earlier in the week only to learn the following things do no exist here:

-Cholula
-Cilantro
-Black or refried beans
-Corn tortillas
-Tortilla chips
-REAL salsa (none of that questionable chipotle/watery/debatably marinara sauce flavored stuff)
-Pico de Gallo
-Legitimate guacamole (at least this can be made.... minus the cilantro)

This posed a serious dilemma to both of us since we are California born and raised.  We wanted to make tacos for two of our South African friends and we were forced to make makeshift tacos!  Such a bummer.  Also, the grocery store only sold one brand and type of tortilla.  And each package of 8 cost R50!  Ugh.  Talk about struggles.  Needless to say, our makeshift tacos turned out pretty well (especially for the lack of resources) and our South African friends seemed to enjoy them a lot (or they just pretended and ate a lot).  The sad part was this was one of the guys' first taco experience!  We were so sad it wasn't more authentic, but the good thing is he didn't know what he was missing.

Ok back to the real story - the quest for Mexican food on Friday.  We'd heard this place called El Burro was supposed to be good, so we made a reservation there for dinner!  I must say it was the best Mexican food (or only?) I've found here so far.  I wouldn't say it's authentic at all, but it tasted good so I'll take it.  There are still 2 other potential Mexican restaurants here (Pancho's and Fat Cactus - not promising names) so we'll have to see what else awaits.

It was a relaxing Friday and we just chilled after dinner - much needed in preparation for the busy weekend!

So Saturday morning came and although I had super ambitious plans to go to the gym and grocery shop, I did none of those and just hung out instead.  At about 1pm we started getting ready for Holi Festival.  It's a very strange thing to explain.  The festival originated as a Hindu tradition that celebrates the arrival of spring.  You're supposed to throw colored powder in the air and just be happy I guess.  Some brilliant business person must have decided somewhere along the way that this would be a great way to make money.  So it's been turned into a music festival where colored powder is thrown into the air every hour.  It's pretty awesome.  Not to mention that this was all taking place literally right beneath Table Mountain.  Quite surreal.

There was a different DJ every hour and the music was really good!  It was a bit hectic when the powder was thrown.  It was as if you're in a sand storm in the desert (so I'd imagine) and it made it really hard to breathe.  But it was also a really exciting burst of color/excitement/festivity!




Now just imagine that if you're looking at the stage and you turn to the right, that's Table Mountain.  SO COOL!  We frolicked around all day.  We got there at 3 and didn't leave until about 9.  I'd say it was a successful day of colorful fun!  Hannah and I also left to get dinner at Eastern Food Bazaar, which was right down the street.  We got some type of Indian chicken and rice dish and it was tasty.  I've been eating a lot of Indian food here and I'm really enjoying it!

Sunday was just as fun, but in a totally different way.  We went to a concert at a really beautiful venue called Kirstenbosch.  It's an outdoor garden with a stage about 10 minutes from campus.  Here we heard a band/DJ/I don't even know what they were called Goldfish.  They were so good!!!  From what I gathered, it's 2 guys.  One is a DJ who plays the keyboard and the other is also a DJ who plays the saxophone.  They have a few random singers that will join in for one or two songs, but other than that it's them.  If you can imagine a mix of jazz and techno and house music, then you kind of can understand what it was like.  Here's a youtube link to my favorite of their songs!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EzG_xma-zc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjwoit91SxU

Also, here's a picture of the venue.  It doesn't do it justice.  If I can find a better picture I'll add it in later for sure!



We got there early and had a fabulous picnic.  It was so tasty!  We brought fruit, crackers, pasta salad, chocolate covered raisins, hummus and veggies - basically the works.  It was such a relaxing way to spend a Sunday afternoon and the best part was that we were back early enough that I've been able to finish my homework tonight!

In other news: my marketing class is the ultimate struggle.  It's all about the South African market and South African products and consumers.  How am I supposed to know this!?  Well, I'm definitely learning a lot fast.  I just feel like I'm at such a disadvantage than all the other students.  Oh well.  I'm sure it'll be okay (or so I hope).  I'm currently working on a paper discussing three macro forces that impact the marketing environment in South African and what my recommendations to marketers would be regarding these environmental changes.... Not exactly my forte.

This week should be pretty fun!  Tomorrow is the UCT rugby game and this weekend I'm going to Robben Island with other CIEE students.  I've started the Cape Town Living and Learning class that's offered through CIEE and I'm really enjoying it.  I had to find a "cultural partner" who I can discuss many of the things we talk about in class with and ask questions.  My cultural partner is a student at a school near UCT.  He's the same age as me and has grown up in Kwazulu-Natal, a province on the eastern side of South Africa.  I'm not yet sure what types of things I'll be asking him, but excited to learn more!

Lastly, I promise I'm still going to post about the homestay last weekend!  It's just a really long post to be and I have many thoughts that I need to organize in my head before I can successfully write about it.  Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment